I first learned about Temple Grandin from my mother. My mom works for a company dedicated to research and innovation, and Temple was invited to speak at a conference. By then, I had already had experiences working with individuals (mostly adults) on the autism spectrum.
I think it is fascinating that Temple is able to empathize with the animals even though her skills at taking another person's perspective has always been more challenging for her. Temple used her ability to synthesize information (from all the senses) to provide insight and bring peace to a process that many "compassionate" individuals fail to even recognize as a meaningful event.
There are so many ways to bring peace to the world. When we focus on each other's and our own differences and identify them as "deficits" the peace process is compromised.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It doesn't surprise me much that someone as brilliant as Temple Grandin "learned" how to empathize with the animals. I met Ms. Grandin a few years ago at a conference and saw firsthand her mind at work. She provided insight to her world for parents and individual on the spectrum. She did so in a creative and unique way that not only those affected by autism would understand.
ReplyDelete